Oral surgery treatment is the process of extracting teeth. Dr Gledhill has extensive knowledge and training on how to provide you with a smooth and comfortable removal process when necessary.
Dr Gledhill can treat many conditions with Oral Surgery including:
- General tooth extractions
- Removal of impacted teeth
- Removal of wisdom teeth
Wisdom Teeth Extractions
One the most common procedures are the removal of wisdom teeth. Wisdom teeth – the last four teeth on the top and bottom of your mouth - typically surface between the ages of 17 and 25. Most people don't have room the in the jaw to accommodate them and need them extracted. Often times the teeth become impacted because of the lack of room to properly surface.
Types of impacted teeth:
- Soft Tissue Impaction – Though the crown of the tooth has broken the surface, a portion of gum still covers part of the tooth. Food can become trapped in the gum flap allowing for decay and infection.
- Partial Bony Impaction – The tooth has partially surfaced, but part of it is still below the gum and bone. This is also prone to infection and decay because of cleaning difficulties.
- Complete Bony Impaction – In this case, the tooth has not broken the surface and remains impacted in the jaw bone. This is the most difficult type of extraction to perform.
If your wisdom teeth are are causing dental issues, it’s to your benefit to have them removed.